The reason for that cute pic of 5-year-old me? On 22 March it was my 27th birthday. Over this time of growth and dreaming big, I thought I’d reflect on the most important and impactful lessons I learned over the years. I struggled to narrow it down to 27, but here ya go! I hope they might mean something to you.
1. If it’s not going to matter in 5 years, don’t spend more than 5 minutes on it. We get angry, insensitive and irritable about petty shit. Why? Is it worth it? Let it go if it won't matter in the long run. It just drains your time and wastes your energy.
2. It's Mark Twain that said: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” He hit the nail on the head, folks! Get up off your couch and go do something life-changing and adventurous! You don't have to go far; go to your backyard! Just stay curious. Live larger. Learn. Grow. Share.
3. Your health is your most important asset. The day I realised this I stopped treating my body like a diet doll. The way you choose to eat, drink, sleep, relate, breathe, exercise, work, affects your health. How would you treat your body, mind and soul if you understood the absolute vital importance of how you care for it?
4. Your emotional and spiritual health is just as important as physical health. Yup, it's the truth guys. You are allowed to feel how you feel and you better work through your trauma and baggage if you don't want that stuff to manifest physically.
5. You have no power over changing someone. You only have power over changing yourself. Unless you're God or an inventor, you're unlikely to control that which is beyond you. As they say, be the change you want to see!
6. Prayer is the most timeless spiritual practice. All religion and spiritual dharma requires prayer. Prayer exceeds boundaries and titles. Give over to a source higher than you. And if all you pray is thank you, then let that be your prayer.
7. You are already all that you desire to be. You seek that which you desire because it is housed in your soul. You are whole. Access it.
8. Quality always overrides quantity. When it comes to clothing, healthcare, relationships, etc, choose quality. You know it!
9. The happiness you feel is in direct proportion to the love you give. Did you know that the number 1 source of happiness is compassion aka serving others? Just do it!
10. Doubt means don’t. If you're unsure about something, don't do it!
11. Surround yourself with positive, loving, uplifting people. And don't be nervous about letting go of those which don't serve your highest good anymore.
12. “When people show you who they are, believe them.” - Maya Angelou Respect people. You haven't walked their mile. And don't listen to gossip.
13. Many, many times in life you will have to do things you don’t want to. It’s called perseverance. Millennial friends, ya hear me? Suck it up and stick it out.
14. It is always better to be honest than to tell a white lie. Sheesh. People can see through you and always appreciate candour. Just own up.
15. Always resolve conflict with tenderness and respect. My mom always says "There are many ways to skin a cat!" Speak softly, make eye contact and role model the behaviour you want to see.
16. Your parents are your greatest teachers. You are born into this world with your set of parents for a reason. Learn from them and develop yourself.
17. You can’t change your past but you can change your future. Let go and look forward.
18. A good night’s rest is the best meditation. Amen!
19. Don’t start and end your days with social media. Because there are so many better ways to start and end a magnificent day! Each day is a gift, use it wisely!
20. Say thank you every day. 'Cos gratitude is the bomb, guys!
21. Treat yourself the way you treat your loved ones. Phew, think about how you treat your parents, friends, partner, pets, etc. Why don't you treat yourself with so much love, care and high-esteem. Try it. A relationship goes both ways! ;)
22. Happiness takes practice. Why should happiness, dreams-come-true or self-love be this mysterious life goal? Anything is possible when you develop it with practical day-to-day habits. Start by asking yourself: What is one thing I can do to better _____________ tomorrow?
23. Everyone is equal. We all came from nothing and will return to nothing. In other words, believe in yourself and believe in others too. We're all on the same team.
24. Don’t burn your bridges. Relationships are your roadmap to success.
25. Never say never. Stop limiting yourself by saying things like: "I have zero talent at drawing." or "I will never get that dream job." Says who? It's all up to you!
26. Instagram life is not real. For real, guys. Don't believe it for a minute.
27. Never speak bad about yourself. When talking to yourself [in your head] or to others about you, don't dim down your light and speak poorly of yourself. Why do we do this anyway?
How about you? What are some unforgettable lessons you've learned in your life? I feel really passionate about the fact that my life is the sum of the decision I have made. On that note, have you seen video 1 from my Happy Medium Habits video campaign where I speak about the power of choice?! Click here to check it out :)