I've been asked a handful of times to write a blog post for you to get to know me a little better. Seeing as it's my birthday coming up this month, I'll let you guys get a sneak peak into the girl behind The Happy Medium Co. Many of the questions were asked over time from my social media followers and other are q's I found on the internet!
1. What is your full name? Carmia Annandale
2. What does your name mean? My mom adapted my name from the word cara mia which means Beloved One in Italian
3. What is your star sign? Aries, but born in the rising moon of Taurus ;). My birthday is coming up 22 March!
4. Where are you from? Cape Town, South Africa
5. Where do you live? I currently reside between Cape Town and the UAE [where my fiancé works]
6. What is your favourite childhood memory? Skiing in Europe with my family! Growing up, my parents spent their money on experiences, not things - so naturally we traveled a lot and went on tons of adventures!
7. What did you study? I completed a BA in Theatre then a PgDip in Marketing and Advertising, then a Masters Diploma in Life and Executive Coaching
8. Tell us about your fiancé! His name is Jochemus Botha, he has a man bun ☺, he is kind and wise and looks like a modern-day Jesus :) ...and he is the best teacher in the world. We’ve been together since 2010 and will be getting married in 2019.
9. What do you typically eat for breakfast? Oats with honey and coconut oil, or a fresh juice
10. Do you have a hidden talent? Yes, dancing! I used to be a contemporary and ballet dancer ☺
11. How do you spend your free time? Training with my PT, watching art movies, cooking healthy snacks, visiting new places, walking in nature, reading self-help books
12. Last song I listened to: Humble by Kendrick Lamar
13. One word that describes me: I’d say I’m vibrant
14. Things I love: My fiancé, my family, my business, my dogs [Spud and Sofi, little black Schnauzers]
15. Things that make me happy: Traveling, writing, spending time in nature, the possibilities of the future
16. How did you come up with your business name? My coach trainer and mentor once told me about how my business idea is like a “happy medium” because it works as a middle point between businesses and millennials. Coincidentally, a lot of people associate me with happiness and the word "medium" describes a way or agency of doing something but alternatively refers to the spiritual and intuitive aspect of who I am.
17. What’s your vision for HMC? I can’t really share my full vision ;) You’ll have to wait and see. But essentially, to serve 1 million millennials by the year 2020. :)
18. The reason you started HMC? To ensure I leave the world a better place for my children and my children’s children.
19. Do you meditate? Yes I’m an avid meditator. I studied it in South Korea. I meditate with my mantra from my Transcendental Meditation studies or with my Tibetan sound bowl [my fave]!
20. Describe a day in your life: No two days are the same and because I'm a young entrepreneur I'm working most of the time! But here ya go! 06:45 Get up, pray, drink water, 07:00 Meditate and stretch, 07:30 Get dressed, 07:45 Make coffee and check emails / messages and reply to NB ones, 08:30 Eat brekkie, 09:00 work, work, work – either private coaching sessions, creating coaching content, designing workshop materials, speaking or training at organisations, 12:30 Lunch, 13:00 Wooork 16:00 / 17:00 Meet my PT / go for a walk, 18:00 relax and dinner, 19:00 work more, 21:00 Shower, read, Skype fiancé, eat chocolate :)
21. What is your favorite drink? Coffee and champagne
22. What is your favorite food? Oh I love eating! Mostly healthy harvest foods but also pizza and ice cream!
23. What is your favorite holiday destination? Vietnam and Italy
24. What countries have you travelled to? South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Dubai, USA, Switzerland, Italy, Lichtenstein, Germany, Austria, South Korea, Philippines, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, China, Hong Kong, Bali, France, UK, Vatican City, Mauritius, Maldives
25. What is at the top of your bucket list? Taking a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Spain and scuba diving / seeing the pyramids in Egypt
26. What is something you are gifted at? Wisdom
27. What is the best compliment you have ever received? That I am larger than life
28. What is the last book you read? The Untethered Soul by Michael A. Singer
29. What is your best physical feature? I love my hair
30. What is your eye color? I have two different colour eyes - one blue and one green [promise!]
31. What is your biggest accomplishment? Living my life without fear
32. What is your nickname? Carretjies [I blame my brother! ;)]
33. What is your favorite quote? Eckhart Tolle said, “You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are”.
34. What was your favorite subject in High School? Art
35. What was your first job? A Brand Ambassador / Data Capturer for HDI Youth Marketeers
36. Who has left the most impact on your life? My fiancé, Jochemus
37. Describe yourself in 5 words? I am joyful, ambitious, compassionate, authentic, wise
38. If you could give your younger self any advice what would it be? You are allowed to feel how you feel
39. What is your biggest fear? Living an unexamined life
40. What is your best quality, in your opinion? That I’m hilariously funny! [Most people don't know this!]
41. What is your worst quality, in your opinion? Impatience
42. What is something you miss from your childhood? BN biscuits! [who's with me?]
43. Are you currently excited about something? Yes, my upcoming travels to Europe to Neuschwanstein Castle - Jochemus and I will be returning exactly a year after we got engaged there!
44. What was the last movie you watched? Living Luminaries: On the Serious Business of Happiness
45. What musical instruments do you play, if any? Saxophone (although I'm not very good!)
46. What superpower do you wish you had? To help people see their true, incredible worth
47. When and where do you feel most at peace? Just after a yoga or meditation class, or after sleeping (I love sleeping!)
48. What makes you smile? Everything
49. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? A dancer
50. What is something you worry about? I’m worried that millennials are too consumed with social media and their screens to really care about the important things in the world
51. Do you have any siblings? A twin brother, Henno. He is a Doctor in Mpumalanga. I miss him a lot!
52. Are you religious? No, spiritual
53. Are you an introvert or an extrovert? Both, but I love my alone time most of all
54. Do you believe that people are capable of change? Yes
55. What’s your Enneagram personality Type: Type 7, the Enthusiastic Visionary [what are YOU?]
56. What is one piece of advice you can share? There’s a saying that says “you are what you eat”. I say, you are what you consume! Be mindful of what you consume – on social media, food and drink, relationships, work, etc choose that which serves you positively!
57. What don’t we know about you? I’m extremely adventurous and have travelled the world, I’m left handed and right-handed, I’m a perfectionist and a little anxious at times, and my favourite colour is not yellow, it’s blue ☺ Shh!
Now it's your turn, Tribe! If there's anything you want to share about yourself or something we have in common, or if you're still curious, feel free to email me email@example.com. I'd love to hear from you!
Thanks for taking the time to get to know me!